The Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) is legally responsible for the provision of adequate and effective police services within the City of Edmonton. When neighboring jurisdictions request assistance and/or resources from the Edmonton Police Service (Service) the request must be consistent with the provisions of the Police Act and can only be performed to the extent possible without significant impact on the provision of policing services to the City of Edmonton.
- The Chief of Police shall notify the Commission of any requests of the Service to provide policing assistance outside the municipal boundaries of the City of Edmonton.
- Approval must be received from the Commission prior to any agreement to provide any such services are entered into.
- Where there are exigent circumstances, the notification and approval process may be done verbally provided both are confirmed in writing as soon as reasonably practicable.
- Verbal notification shall be made to the Chair of the Commission, or their designate, who shall have the authority to give their approval on behalf of the Commission if deemed appropriate.
- Police Act, RSA 2000, c P-17