Pursuant to the Police Act the Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) is responsible for appointing a Chief of Police (Chief) for the Edmonton Police Service (Service).
- The Commission is responsible for hiring the Chief subject to ratification by City Council.
- The Commission has the authority to determine the executive search process utilized to hire a Chief and to determine the remuneration.
- The terms and conditions of the Chief’s employment shall be set out in a contract with the Commission.
- The Chief reports to, and takes direction from, the Commission in accordance with applicable legislation.
- The Chief will assume the responsibility for providing overall leadership to the Service by communicating the Commission’s vision and participating in the development of the Commission’s strategic plan.
- The Chief will be accountable to the Commission for the effective management of all human and financial resources of the Service.
- The Commission will evaluate at a minimum the performance of the Chief on an annual basis.
- The Commission has delegated the power to appoint all police officers and civilian employees for the Service to the Chief.
- Police Act, RSA 2000, c P-17
- EPC Policy 1.1.4 – Police Commission And Police Service Planning