Pursuant to the Police Act the Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) is responsible for appointing a Chief of Police (Chief) for the Edmonton Police Service (Service).
- The Commission is responsible for hiring the Chief subject to ratification by City Council.
- The Commission has the authority to determine the executive search process utilized to hire a Chief and to determine the remuneration.
- The terms and conditions of the Chief’s employment shall be set out in a contract with the Commission. Once the contract is ratified by City Council, the Commission will make this information public on an annual basis. The annual public disclosure will form an element of the terms and conditions of employment. The compensation information released will balance the need for transparency to the citizens of Edmonton while respecting the privacy of the employee.
- The Chief reports to, and takes direction from, the Commission in accordance with applicable legislation.
- The Chief will assume the responsibility for providing overall leadership to the Service by communicating the Commission’s vision and participating in the development of the Commission’s strategic plan.
- The Chief will be accountable to the Commission for the effective management of all human and financial resources of the Service.
- The Commission will evaluate at a minimum the performance of the Chief on an annual basis.
- The Commission has delegated the power to appoint all police officers and civilian employees for the Service to the Chief.
- Police Act, RSA 2000, c P-17
- EPC Policy 1.1.4 – Police Commission And Police Service Planning