Policies of the Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) are developed and maintained to ensure consistency for the organization and provides a framework for decision making.
The supporting legislation for policy development for the Edmonton Police Commission is the Police Act which gives the Commission the authority to establish policies providing for efficient and effective policing.
- All policies and policy revisions must be adopted by formal resolution of the Commission.
- Existing policies will be reviewed regularly, every three years as a minimum, to ensure alignment with the Commission’s Strategic Plan and any changes to applicable legislation or regulation.
- When appropriate, the Executive Director shall seek legal advice on the intent or wording of a policy.
- The EPC Policy Manual will be maintained in an electronic format, available to all members of the public through the Commission’s website.
- The Executive Director shall develop administrative procedures to carry out approved policy direction.
- Police Act, RSA 2000, c P-172.
- EPC Policy 1.1.2 – Authority and Accountability