Edmonton Police Commissioners (Commissioners) are expected to represent the public in carrying out their duties as prescribed in the Police Act, City of Edmonton Bylaw #14040 and this policy manual.
It is recognized that elected officials who are appointed to serve on the Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) may, in making decisions or taking actions as a member of the Commission, take into account the broader interests of their constituents, stakeholders and the municipal corporation as a whole.
- Individual members of the Commission must exercise their official duties and functions and arrange their affairs in such a manner that public confidence and trust in the integrity, objectivity, and impartiality of the Commission are conserved and enhanced.
- Commission member actions should be guided by the Commission’s Vision and Mission.
- Commission members should expect to spend a significant number of hours each month in performance of their duties as required.
- All members will attend meetings prepared to discuss items on the agenda and will have read all reports and background materials provided.
- Commission members will focus their efforts and discussions on issues related to strategy, policy, and governance oversight.
- Individual Commissioners will be appointed to any number of standing committees and/or ad hoc committees.
- All Commission members are encouraged to attend functions throughout the community to maintain strong links with individuals and groups.
- Each member of the Commission will avail themselves of training opportunities and will become knowledgeable on the practices of good governance and the policing profession.
- No individual Commission member shall purport to speak on behalf of the Commission unless they are authorized to do so as outlined in EPC policy 5.3.3 – Communications and Media Relations.
- All Commission members must observe the rules around confidentiality as outlined in the Code of Conduct and the FOIP Act.
- Individual Commissioners cannot direct the Executive Director or any other Commission staff member and all directions or recommendations will follow the guidelines in EPC policy 2.3.1 – Information Requests.
- Individual Commissioners have no direct authority over any member of the Edmonton Police Service and all authority flows through approved motions of the Commission.
- Police Act, RSA 2000, c P-17
- City of Edmonton Bylaw, No 14040, Edmonton Police Commission Bylaw
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, RSA 2000, c F-25
- EPC Policy 2.3.1 – Information Requests
- EPC Policy 4.2.1 – Code of Conduct
- EPC Policy 5.2.1 – Committees of the Commission
- EPC Policy 5.2.6 – Ad Hoc Committees
- EPC Policy 5.3.2 – Education and Training
- EPC Policy 5.3.3 – Communication & Media Relations
- EPC Policy 5.6.3 – Attendance of Commissioners at Functions