The Edmonton Police Commission (Commission) endorses and supports the recognition of citizens, sworn and non-sworn members of the Edmonton Police Service (Service) and volunteers who have made a significant contribution to the work of the Edmonton Police Service.
- The Commission endorses the Service’s awards and recognition programs.
- Formal recognition of deserving individuals and groups is extended through the following awards:
- Edmonton Police Commission Citizen Awards
- Problem Solving Award
- Edmonton Police Service Awards
- A civilian may be presented a Citizen Award in recognition of an act of:
- Conspicuous courage and/or,
- Meritorious action and/or,
- Outstanding concern and compassion to an individual or their community in situations which the police become involved.
- A civilian can be nominated by either a Service member or a member of the Commission.
- A Problem-Solving Award is given to the Recruit with the highest score obtained in this section of each Recruit Training Program.
- Individual Commission members, at their discretion, may also provide an official commendation to a Service member for exceptional performance, outstanding work in the community, outstanding contribution to police work and/or innovation and problem-solving.
- The Commission will appoint one or more delegates to the Edmonton Police Service Awards Board.
- For commendations, individual Commissioners will provide the Chief of Police with a letter outlining the nature of the commendation to be placed on that Service member’s personnel file.